Learn the fundamentals of database design, development and querying using Microsoft SQL Server 2017
- A Computer
- A desire to learn database development
This is a zero to hero course on Microsoft SQL Databases and Querying. There are no pre-requisites for this course. This course provides you with fundamental SQL Server training and is enough to get you started at a Database Developer or Junior Database Administrator.
Why Learn Microsoft SQL Server
Microsoft SQL Server is a relational database management system developed by Microsoft. As a database server, it is a software product with the primary function of storing and retrieving data as requested by other software applications
We will explore best practices in database development using SQL Server Express 2017 (Free Edition) and will be building a small school management system database.
All you need is a windows machine and we will walk through setting up an environment, to creating a database, creating your first table and writing queries.
At the end of this course, you should be comfortable writing queries for multiple situations and reports.
What you’ll learn
- Install SQL Server and SQL Server Management Studio
- Connect to a Database Instance
- Create a Database
- Create Tables
- Run Queries against Tables
- General use of the Management Studio
- Create Relationships (Normalization)
- Use Aggregate functions to do quick mathematical operations
- Export data to Excel using the Management Studio
- Practical use of SQL
- Creating and Managing Database Views
- Creating and Managing Custom Functions; Table Triggers and Stored Procedures
- How to Backup and Restore Databases
Are there any course requirements or prerequisites?
- A Windows PC (or Windows running on a Virtual Machine if using Linux/Mac)
Who this course is for:
- This course is for beginners with absolutely no experience.
- This course is for you if you are already comfortable with basic database operations.
- This course is for you if you feel a bit ‘rusty’ and need to refresh your knowledge.
- This course is for you if you want to understand design principles in database development.
- This course is for you if you are proficient in Microsoft Access and want to learn a new Database Management System
- This course is for EVERYONE!
Who this course is for:
- Beginner Database Developer
- Intermediate Database Developers
- Potential Database Administrators
- Those who work in organizations where the company typically uses Microsoft databases.